Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Restoration on Sizzling Summer Days

With much of the US experiencing extremely steamy temps, I started thinking how Yoga rejuvinates my body more than the cool temps of any pool or ocean!  I have absolutely pushed the limits of the most recent heat wave in the Northeast by attending Hot Vinyasa Flow classes, but the most beneficial classes for me personally have been restorative or gentle yoga.  Restorative Yoga may be overlooked by the typical Yogi, as classes for the weak, injured, or downright lazy. I may have been someone who would never have attended a Restorative class because I could not imagine "laying around on props" would be beneficial.

However, I was introduced to Restorative Yoga during my teacher training at YogaWorks in New York City, and after an hour and a half session, I noticed a profound difference in my body.  Being an athletic person, I have used movement or cardio to manage stress and achieve a sense of well-being.  Who knew I could find the same energetic sensation through restorative yoga poses that I would find after a 6 mile run on a hot summer day? 

A Restorative Yoga Session, even if you practice one asana (pose), will allow the body to find energy through relaxation.  So when the weather becomes extreme and the sun is draining your Prana (energy), hit up a yoga class and keep your Prana in check!
My suggestion for those who are not convinced is that you try one pose and hold it for 3-5 minutes.  Afterwards, examine how your body feels in comparison to how it felt before the pose.  Try the pose again when you are ready and maybe hold it for a longer length of time or experiment with a different pose.  Every body is different and poses may be beneficial to some and not to others, but you will never know if Restorative Yoga will feel good to YOUR body, unless you give it a try!  Check the schedules of your local Yoga classes and look for "restorative" or "gentle"  yoga on the schedule!

My belief in the benefits of Restorative yoga has led me to purchase my own props, so I can set up an at-home restorative session as needed.  The props are inexpensive and invaluable because once you are in your first Restorative Supta Baddha Konasana (Goddess Pose), you will not understand how you survived without a bolster, block, or blanket! 


For Suggestions or more information on Restorative Asanas, please email, SchillerYoga@gmail.com.


Namaste!

No comments:

Post a Comment